NewAge Stuff
Home · BBS · Articles · Calendar · Web Links · News · Search · Liteweb Monday, September 27, 2021
Navigation
Home
BBS
Articles
FAQ
Calendar
Web Links
News
Search
Liteweb
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
Fooling ourselves th...
Was the Taj Mahal si...
Edgar Cayce Readings
On God
Sound and Ghosts
Hottest Threads
On God [4]
Fooling ourselves... [3]
I Am That I Am - Not [2]
Magnetic Therapy [1]
Was the Taj Mahal... [0]
Latest Articles
Reiki - Real or Ridi...
Focus Illusion
Emotional Residue
Psychadelics In Medi...
Egypt Cards
Editor's Choice - Links
Universal Seduction
Academy of Spirituality and Paranormal Studies
Reiki Research
House Of Light
New Scientist
Intuitive Connections
Eclectic Philosophy BBS
Rael Science
Einstein Conspiracy
Rense
MBTI Personality Pages
Enneagram and MBTI
Steve's New Age Links
Steve's Psychology Links
More Links
View Thread
NewAge Stuff | New Age | Learning and living
Author Free Will
steve
Administrator

Posted on 26-12-08 15:06
There's a neat article on free will here:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/dfwVariousSmilansky.htm

There is no libertarian free will: people can have limited forms of local control over their actions, but not the deep form of libertarian free will. Whether determinism is completely true or not, we cannot make sense of the sort of constitutive self-transcendence which would provide grounding for the deep sense of moral responsibility that libertarian free will was thought to supply. Our common libertarian assumptions cannot be sustained. All our actions, however an internalized and complex a form they my take, are the result of what we are, ultimately beyond our control.

The implications of the absence of libertarian free will are complex, and the standard assumption of the debate, the Assumption of Monism according to which we must be either compatibilists or hard determinists, is false. We saw why ‘forms of life’ based on the compatibilist distinctions about control are possible and morally required, but are also superficial and deeply problematic in ethical and personal terms. I claimed that the most plausible approach to the Compatibility Question is a complex compromise, which I called Fundamental Dualism. The idea that either compatibilism or hard determinism can be adequate on its own is untenable.

There is then partial non-illusory grounding for many of our central free will-related beliefs, reactions, and practices, even in a world without libertarian free will. But in various complex ways, we require illusion in order to bring forth and maintain them. Illusion is seen to flow from the basic structure of the free will issue, the absence of libertarian free will and the Fundamental Dualism concerning the implications. Revealing the large and mostly positive role of illusion concerning free will not only teaches us a great deal about the free will issue itself, but also posits illusion as a pivotal factor in human life.

Are you a new ager that believes we are constantly shaping our own lives and destinies, or one that sees ourselves more like puppets, with destinies that can't be escaped?

Do you believe people like Edgar Cayce, Nostradamus, and other gifted psychics can tell the future?

If yes, what does that say about free will, the Mayan prophecies of 12/21/2012, and the future already being written?

Edited by steve on 26-12-08 15:22
Username

Password

Remember Me

Lost Password?
Users Online
Guests Online: 2
No Members Online

Registered Members: 45
Newest Member: coachoutlet6
Member Poll
Have you ever had a psychic premonition?

Yes

No

You must login to vote.
      Monday, September 27th, 2021  
Google

New Age Stuff
newagestuff.com

Designed and maintained by
Pixel Pluckers